Arc Length of Projectile

We will show that:

The arc length of any projectile subject to no forces other than gravity can be expressed by the formula:

\(\ell = \frac{(v_0\cos(\phi))^2}{2g} \left[ 2\sec(\phi)\tan(\phi) + \ln \lvert\frac{1+\sin(\phi)}{1-\sin(\phi)} \rvert \right]\)

Where:

ϕ\phi is the angle the projectile initially makes with the horizontal axis

v0v_0 is the initial velocity

gg is the force of gravity

I suppose before we start, I should explain why I decided to put such a disgusting looking formula up here. Arc length integrals are not particularly difficult (usually), but they are often times very annoying to actually compute, at least in my opinion. With this formula, arc length can now be considered a function of any of the above variables, even gg. For instance, suppose we wished to study the effect of gravitational fields with differing magnitude (but always constant direction) on the arc length of a projectile. We would simply make the above formula a function of the variable gg and hold everything else constant (as long as all other factors are the same). This is why I felt this formula has its advantages and is thus worthy of sharing.

Proof:

Consider a massive particle projected from the origin of a Cartesian Coordinate system with initial velocity v0v_0 and angle ϕ\phi. There is negligible air resistance and the only force acting on said particle is gravity. Then, by Newton, we have:

F=ma=W\displaystyle \sum \vec{F} = m\vec{a} = \vec{W}

W\vec{W} is just the weight of the particle:

W=mgj^\vec{W} = -mg \hat{j}

Then:

a=gj^\vec{a} = -g \hat{j}

Acceleration is clearly constant, hence we may proceed to derive vector-valued functions for our velocity and position:

v=adt=(v0cos(ϕ))i^+(v0sin(ϕ)gt)j^\vec{v} = \displaystyle \int \vec{a} \,dt = (v_0\cos(\phi))\hat{i} + (v_0\sin(\phi) - gt)\hat{j}

r=vdt=(v0cos(ϕ)t)i^+(v0sin(ϕ)tgt22)j^\vec{r} = \displaystyle \int \vec{v}\,dt = (v_0\cos(\phi)t)\hat{i} +(v_0\sin(\phi)t - \frac{gt^2}{2})\hat{j}

(This assumes that we zero-reference our position from the initial position)

Now, keep these in mind as we derive an integral formula for arc length:

By the Pythagorean Theorem, if we consider a triangle with infinitesimal hypotenuse on the trajectory of the particle, we have:

d2=dx2+dy2d\ell^2 = dx^2 +dy^2

Now, our position equations are parameterized in time. Then:

d2dt2=dx2dt2+dy2dt2\frac{d\ell^2}{dt^2} = \frac{dx^2}{dt^2} + \frac{dy^2}{dt^2}

\Rightarrow ddt=dx2dt2+dy2dt2\frac{d\ell}{dt} = \sqrt{\frac{dx^2}{dt^2} + \frac{dy^2}{dt^2}}

\Rightarrow =0t0dx2dt2+dy2dt2dt\ell = \displaystyle \int_{0}^{t_0} \sqrt{\frac{dx^2}{dt^2} + \frac{dy^2}{dt^2}}\,dt

Where t0t_0 is the time at which the particle has exactly zero height.

(As a quick side note, this integral should make sense. The integrand is simply the magnitude of the velocity as a function of time, hence we are summing all infinitesimal velocity elements along the curve at all times 0tt00\leq t \leq t_0 to obtain our length)

Now we have our position functions for xx and yy, these are just the components of our position vector. Then:

x(t)=v0cos(ϕ)tx(t) = v_0\cos(\phi)t \Rightarrow dxdt=v0cos(ϕ)\frac{dx}{dt} = v_0\cos(\phi)

y(t)=v0sin(ϕ)tgt22y(t) = v_0\sin(\phi)t - \frac{gt^2}{2} \Rightarrow dydt=v0sin(ϕ)gt\frac{dy}{dt} = v_0\sin(\phi) - gt

Then our integral is:

=0t0v02cos2(ϕ)+dy2dt2dt\ell = \displaystyle \int_{0}^{t_0} \sqrt{ v_0^2\cos^2(\phi) + \frac{dy^2}{dt^2}}\,dt

Let: u=dydt=v0sin(ϕ)gtu= \frac{dy}{dt} = v_0\sin(\phi) - gt \Rightarrow dug=dt-\frac{du}{g} = dt

Then:

=1gv0sin(ϕ)v0sin(ϕ)gt0v02cos2(ϕ)+u2du\ell =-\frac{1}{g} \displaystyle \int_{v_0\sin(\phi)}^{v_0\sin(\phi) -gt_0} \sqrt{ v_0^2\cos^2(\phi) + u^2}\,du

Recall that: sin2(ϕ)+cos2(ϕ)=1\sin^2(\phi) + \cos^2(\phi) = 1

Dividing the entire equation by cos2(ϕ)\cos^2(\phi) we obtain:

tan2(ϕ)+1=sec2(ϕ)\tan^2(\phi) + 1 = \sec^2(\phi)

Let: u=v0cos(ϕ)tan(θ)u=v_0\cos(\phi)\tan(\theta) \Rightarrow du=v0cos(ϕ)sec2(θ)dθdu = v_0\cos(\phi) \sec^2(\theta) d\theta

Before plugging this in to our integral, we shall find an expression for t0t_0. This will help us change our bounds:

0=v0sin(ϕ)t0gt022 0 = v_0\sin(\phi) t_0 - \frac{gt_0^2}{2} \Rightarrow t0=0t_0 = 0

or

t0=2v0sin(ϕ)gt_0 = \frac{2v_0\sin(\phi)}{g}

t0=0t_0=0 is simply the initial time, hence we neglect this solution in favor of the latter.

Now let us change our bounds:

limuv0sin(ϕ)θ=limuv0sin(ϕ)tan1(uv0cos(ϕ))=ϕ\displaystyle \lim_{u \to v_0\sin(\phi)} \theta = \displaystyle \lim_{u \to v_0\sin(\phi)} \tan^{-1} \left(\frac{u}{v_0 \cos(\phi)} \right) = \phi

limuv0sin(ϕ)gt0θ=limuv0sin(ϕ)gt0tan1(uv0cos(ϕ))=ϕ\displaystyle \lim_{u \to v_0\sin(\phi)-gt_0} \theta = \displaystyle \lim_{u \to v_0\sin(\phi)-gt_0} \tan^{-1} \left(\frac{u}{v_0 \cos(\phi)} \right) = -\phi

Then:

=1gϕϕv02cos2(ϕ)+v02cos2(ϕ)tan2(θ)(v0cos(ϕ)sec2(θ))dθ\ell = -\frac{1}{g} \displaystyle \int_{\phi}^{-\phi} \sqrt{ v_0^2\cos^2(\phi) +v_0^2\cos^2(\phi)\tan^2(\theta)}(v_0\cos(\phi)\sec^2(\theta))\,d\theta

\Rightarrow =(v0cos(ϕ))2gϕϕsec3(θ)dθ=(v0cos(ϕ))2gϕϕsec(θ)ddθtan(θ)dθ\ell = \frac{(v_0\cos(\phi))^2}{g} \displaystyle \int_{-\phi}^{\phi} \sec^3(\theta) \,d\theta = \frac{(v_0\cos(\phi))^2}{g} \displaystyle \int_{-\phi}^{\phi} \sec(\theta)\frac{d}{d\theta} \tan(\theta)\,d\theta

\Rightarrow =(v0cos(ϕ))2g[sec(θ)tan(θ)ϕϕϕϕsec(θ)tan2(θ)dθ]\ell =\frac{(v_0\cos(\phi))^2}{g} \left[ \sec(\theta)\tan(\theta) |_{-\phi}^{\phi} - \displaystyle \int_{-\phi}^{\phi} \sec(\theta)\tan^2(\theta) \,d\theta \right]

\Rightarrow (v0cos(ϕ))2gϕϕsec3(θ)dθ=(v0cos(ϕ))2g[sec(θ)tan(θ)ϕϕϕϕsec3(θ)dθ+ϕϕsec(θ)dθ]\frac{(v_0\cos(\phi))^2}{g} \displaystyle \int_{-\phi}^{\phi} \sec^3(\theta) \,d\theta =\frac{(v_0\cos(\phi))^2}{g} \left[\sec(\theta)\tan(\theta) |_{-\phi}^{\phi} - \displaystyle \int_{-\phi}^{\phi} \sec^3 (\theta) \,d\theta + \displaystyle \int_{-\phi}^{\phi} \sec(\theta) \,d\theta \right]

\Rightarrow =(v0cos(ϕ))22g[sec(θ)tan(θ)ϕϕ+ϕϕsec(θ)dθ]\ell = \frac{(v_0\cos(\phi))^2}{2g}\left[\sec(\theta)\tan(\theta) |_{-\phi}^{\phi} + \displaystyle \int_{-\phi}^{\phi} \sec(\theta) \,d\theta \right]

Now, focus on ϕϕsec(θ)dθ\displaystyle \int_{-\phi}^{\phi} \sec(\theta) \,d\theta. We'll deal with everything else later, we need to evaluate this integral first:

ϕϕsec(θ)dθ=ϕϕsec(θ)1+sin(θ)cos(θ)1+sin(θ)cos(θ)dθ\displaystyle \int_{-\phi}^{\phi} \sec(\theta) \,d\theta = \displaystyle \int_{-\phi}^{\phi} \sec(\theta) \frac{\frac{1+\sin(\theta)}{\cos(\theta)}}{\frac{1+\sin(\theta)}{\cos(\theta)}} \,d\theta

If we let u=1+sin(θ)cos(θ)u= \frac{1+\sin(\theta)}{\cos(\theta)}, then:

du=sec(θ)1+sin(θ)cos(θ)dθdu = \sec(\theta) \frac{1+\sin(\theta)}{\cos(\theta)}d\theta

Then we have:

ϕϕsec(θ)dθ=duuϕϕ=ln1+sin(θ)cos(θ)ϕϕ\displaystyle \int_{-\phi}^{\phi} \sec(\theta) \,d\theta = \displaystyle \int \frac{du}{u} |_{-\phi}^{\phi} = \ln \lvert \frac{1+\sin(\theta)}{\cos(\theta)} \rvert |_{-\phi}^{\phi}

\Rightarrow =(v0cos(ϕ))22g[sec(θ)tan(θ)+lnsec(θ)+tan(θ)]ϕϕ\ell = \frac{(v_0\cos(\phi))^2}{2g} \left [ \sec(\theta)\tan(\theta) + \ln \lvert \sec(\theta) +\tan(\theta) \rvert \right]_{-\phi}^{\phi}

\Rightarrow =(v0cos(ϕ))22g[2sec(ϕ)tan(ϕ)+ln1+sin(ϕ)1sin(ϕ)]\ell = \frac{(v_0\cos(\phi))^2}{2g} \left [ 2 \sec(\phi) \tan(\phi) + \ln \lvert\frac{1+\sin(\phi)}{1-\sin(\phi)} \rvert \right]

Since sec(ϕ)=sec(ϕ)\sec(-\phi) = \sec(\phi) and tan(ϕ)=tan(ϕ) \tan(-\phi) = - \tan(\phi)

This is the intended result.

QED

#Calculus #ArcLength

Note by A Former Brilliant Member
6 years, 8 months ago

1 vote

Easy Math Editor

This discussion board is a place to discuss our Daily Challenges and the math and science related to those challenges. Explanations are more than just a solution — they should explain the steps and thinking strategies that you used to obtain the solution. Comments should further the discussion of math and science.

When posting on Brilliant:

• Use the emojis to react to an explanation, whether you're congratulating a job well done , or just really confused .
  • Ask specific questions about the challenge or the steps in somebody's explanation. Well-posed questions can add a lot to the discussion, but posting "I don't understand!" doesn't help anyone.
  • Try to contribute something new to the discussion, whether it is an extension, generalization or other idea related to the challenge.
  • Stay on topic — we're all here to learn more about math and science, not to hear about your favorite get-rich-quick scheme or current world events.

MarkdownAppears as
*italics* or _italics_ italics
**bold** or __bold__ bold

- bulleted
- list

• bulleted
  • list

1. numbered
2. list

1. numbered
  2. list
Note: you must add a full line of space before and after lists for them to show up correctly
paragraph 1

paragraph 2

paragraph 1

paragraph 2

[example link](https://brilliant.org)example link
> This is a quote
This is a quote
    # I indented these lines
    # 4 spaces, and now they show
    # up as a code block.

print "hello world"
# I indented these lines
# 4 spaces, and now they show
# up as a code block.

print "hello world"
MathAppears as
Remember to wrap math in \( ... \) or \[ ... \] to ensure proper formatting.
2 \times 3 2×3 2 \times 3
2^{34} 234 2^{34}
a_{i-1} ai1 a_{i-1}
\frac{2}{3} 23 \frac{2}{3}
\sqrt{2} 2 \sqrt{2}
\sum_{i=1}^3 i=13 \sum_{i=1}^3
\sin \theta sinθ \sin \theta
\boxed{123} 123 \boxed{123}

Comments

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...