1 to 12

A distinct integer from 1 to 12 is placed in each red circle in the figure below. Is it possible that the sum of the four numbers on any of the six blue lines is the same?

No, it is not possible Yes, it is possible

This section requires Javascript.
You are seeing this because something didn't load right. We suggest you, (a) try refreshing the page, (b) enabling javascript if it is disabled on your browser and, finally, (c) loading the non-javascript version of this page . We're sorry about the hassle.

4 solutions

Hosam Hajjir
Sep 1, 2017

Here is one possible arrangement of the numbers 1 - 12 in the twelve vertices.

@Hosam Hajjir In one of my previous problems ( 1 to 10 ) the figure was similar, just with a regular pentagon. The answer was "Not possible" in that problem. Can you generalize, that if we make a similar figure just with a regular polygon, with n n number of sides, for what types of n n is the numbering possible?

Áron Bán-Szabó - 3 years, 9 months ago

I have no idea how to generalize this problem to any n n . Sorry I couldn't be of help.

Hosam Hajjir - 3 years, 9 months ago

hello there; sorry this is so awkward but can I think I could possibly say that using code

Anonymous1 Assassin - 4 months, 3 weeks ago

In another possible arrangement, the inner hexagon has 8,7,3,11,6 and 1 in clockwise order and outer hexagon has 12 at the vertex closest to 8 and 7 and the remaining five numbers in clockwise order are 2,4,10,5 and 9. The sum along each of the six lines is 26.

Auro Light - 3 years, 9 months ago

I guess it is possible with even number of sides but not with odd number of sides

Zahid Hussain - 1 year, 10 months ago
Hippie Filthy
Aug 13, 2019

The sum of all numbers 1-12 equals 78. If we select 4 random numbers from this set their sum most likely will be 78/3 = 26.

Now assign each circle a letter (any order you like) and write down the equations for the picture: - A+B+C+D=sum - E+F+G+H=sum - E+X+B+Y=sum - M+G+N+D=sum - A+X+F+M=sum - Y+C+N+H=sum

Sum last 4 equations and subtract 2 first ones to find out that - M+N+X+Y=sum also

Now we have that - A+B+C+D=sum - E+F+G+H=sum - M+N+X+Y=sum

Meaning that we have to split numbers 1-12 into 3 subsets such that sums inside each subset is equal. It is possible only if sum=26.

26 is even, and numbers 1-12 contain 6 odd and 6 even numbers, so each line should have either 2 or 4 odd numbers for the sum to be even.

Considering these 2 facts It is pretty easy to find a fitting combination.

Eric Schneider
Jun 3, 2018

Here's some Python 3 code I wrote that does it all for you:

import itertools # for generating all permutations
eqs = ((0, 2, 4, 6), 
       (1, 2, 3, 5),
       (0, 3, 7, 10),
       (1, 4, 8, 11),
       (10, 9, 8, 6),
       (5, 7, 9, 11)) # the sums for each line

str_to_format = \
"""    {:2}      {:2}    
        {:2}        
    {:2}      {:2}    
{:2}              {:2}
    {:2}      {:2}    
        {:2}        
    {:2}      {:2}     Sum: {}\n\n\n""" # so that it looks like the picture

for i in itertools.permutations(list(range(1, 13))): #for every possible arrangement of [1,12]
    sums = []
    for eq in eqs: #for each line on the picture
        sum = 0
        for q in eq: #take the sum of that line
            sum += i[q]
        sums.append(sum)
    if sums.count(sums[0]) == len(sums): #and if they're all the same
        print(str_to_format.format(*i, sums[0])) #show me!
Parv Julania
Mar 3, 2018

Numbers 1,2,9 and 8 add up to 20. Similarly numbers 7,2,6 and 5 add up to 20.

As I read the problem this solution is good enough. It doesn’t say that all the lines has to have the same sum!

Nisse Que - 2 years, 6 months ago

0 pending reports

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...