250 followers problem

A part of a circuit consisting of capacitors is shown above. Find the equivalent capacitance across A and B.

35 6 μ F \dfrac{35}{6}\mu F None of these 15 μ F 15\mu F 25 6 μ F \dfrac{25}{6}\mu F

This section requires Javascript.
You are seeing this because something didn't load right. We suggest you, (a) try refreshing the page, (b) enabling javascript if it is disabled on your browser and, finally, (c) loading the non-javascript version of this page . We're sorry about the hassle.

2 solutions

The given circuit is the same as Circuit 1 in the above figure.

Adding up the two parallel capacitors between A A and C C , and B B and D D , we have 10 + 15 = 25 μ F 10+15=25 \mu F and 1 + 1 = 2 μ F 1+1 = 2 \mu F respectively and we get equivalent circuit as Circuit 2.

We note that V C B = 25 30 V A B = 5 6 V A B V_{CB} = \dfrac{25}{30} V_{AB} = \dfrac{5}{6} V_{AB} and that V D B = 10 12 V A B = 5 6 V A B V_{DB} = \dfrac{10}{12} V_{AB} = \dfrac{5}{6} V_{AB} . This means that point C C and point D D are at the same potential, and we can consider the 13 μ F capacitor as a short circuit. \color{#3D99F6}{\text{we can consider the 13 } \mu F \text{ capacitor as a short circuit.}} Therefore, the resultant equivalent circuit is as Circuit 3.

Therefore, the equivalent capacitance across A B AB is given by:

C A B = ( 25 10 ) $ ( 5 2 ) $ means "in series", as we can’t use + here. = 35 $ 7 = 35 × 7 35 + 7 = 35 6 \begin{aligned} C_{AB} & = (25||10) \color{#3D99F6}{\$} (5||2) \quad \quad \small \color{#3D99F6}{\$ \text{ means "in series", as we can't use + here.}} \\ & = 35 \$ 7 \\ & = \frac{35 \times 7}{35+7} \\ & = \boxed{\dfrac{35}{6}} \end{aligned}

Great sir, how did you draw those figures?

Akhil Bansal - 5 years, 7 months ago

I used Excel spreadsheet and then transfer to Paint. Clumsy but doable.

Chew-Seong Cheong - 5 years, 7 months ago

I have changed the solution to a simpler one.

Great!! I couldn't figure out that. Wheatstone bridge application and its done

Tanishq Varshney - 5 years, 7 months ago

Yes, it should be Wheatstone bridge. I had also forgotten about it. I first felt that it should be some of this symmetry thing like some of these problems before, but failed to see it too. I actually used star-delta like you. Then Akhil mentioned it and I checked the circuit again. Guess we need to solve more of these problems.

The problem with circuit problems we need good easy free software to draw the circuits. It takes a lot of time using Paint. I wonder if anyone can help here.

I have changed the solution to a simpler one.

Harish Kp
Nov 12, 2015

Write potentials for each plates of each capacitor and find capacitors that are parallel.......15 and 10 are parallel and both 1 c are parallel...after doing this the circuit becomes a Wheatstone.....and then ans comes automatically

0 pending reports

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...