A suggestion

I don't know exactly how many people are using Brilliant now, but I figure it must be getting fairly high, and I can't help feeling that whilst at the moment members are all working on different problems which aren't particularly linked together, it would be great to have some sort of polymath project on the go which anyone can contribute to as part of a larger investigation.

The benefits of the current format are obvious: there are problems and wiki posts from a range of topics and difficulties, which people can work through at their own speed and interest. However, a polymath project could draw from the combined knowledge of all of us. I am nowhere near as good at problem solving as some members, but the idea of these projects is that one contributes all they can and others build upon it. I have no idea what the investigation would be about, but I like to think there are some areas of maths to discover which are within reach if we combine our efforts. Imagine how awesome it would be (and what great attention it would bring to Brilliant) if a group of young people managed to have some fresh insight into a problem, or a different way of looking at something which others ignored.

Of course, a staff member would have to organise it, and maybe it'd all just be too tricky. Anyway, it would be good to get a sense of whether others would like to take part part in a polymath project. You can have a look at some others online to see some examples.

#QuestionsOrSuggestionsForBrilliant #Suggestion

Note by Jacob Drori
6 years, 5 months ago

No vote yet
1 vote

Easy Math Editor

This discussion board is a place to discuss our Daily Challenges and the math and science related to those challenges. Explanations are more than just a solution — they should explain the steps and thinking strategies that you used to obtain the solution. Comments should further the discussion of math and science.

When posting on Brilliant:

• Use the emojis to react to an explanation, whether you're congratulating a job well done , or just really confused .
  • Ask specific questions about the challenge or the steps in somebody's explanation. Well-posed questions can add a lot to the discussion, but posting "I don't understand!" doesn't help anyone.
  • Try to contribute something new to the discussion, whether it is an extension, generalization or other idea related to the challenge.
  • Stay on topic — we're all here to learn more about math and science, not to hear about your favorite get-rich-quick scheme or current world events.

MarkdownAppears as
*italics* or _italics_ italics
**bold** or __bold__ bold

- bulleted
- list

• bulleted
  • list

1. numbered
2. list

1. numbered
  2. list
Note: you must add a full line of space before and after lists for them to show up correctly
paragraph 1

paragraph 2

paragraph 1

paragraph 2

[example link](https://brilliant.org)example link
> This is a quote
This is a quote
    # I indented these lines
    # 4 spaces, and now they show
    # up as a code block.

print "hello world"
# I indented these lines
# 4 spaces, and now they show
# up as a code block.

print "hello world"
MathAppears as
Remember to wrap math in \( ... \) or \[ ... \] to ensure proper formatting.
2 \times 3 2×3 2 \times 3
2^{34} 234 2^{34}
a_{i-1} ai1 a_{i-1}
\frac{2}{3} 23 \frac{2}{3}
\sqrt{2} 2 \sqrt{2}
\sum_{i=1}^3 i=13 \sum_{i=1}^3
\sin \theta sinθ \sin \theta
\boxed{123} 123 \boxed{123}

Comments

I think that is a great idea, especially for a group of members to help each other learn about a specific topic.

I tried this out briefly over summer through the Polynomials Sprint, and am pleased by how much the community has contributed their efforts in creating explanations and problems.

Currently, I do not have the bandwidth the pursue this. However, if anyone is interested in spearheading something similar, I would be willing to assist.

Calvin Lin Staff - 6 years, 5 months ago

Are there any particular areas of maths you think would work especially well?

Jacob Drori - 6 years, 5 months ago

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...