Binomial Coefficient Challenge 10

Prove That

r=1n(nr)Hr=2n(Hnr=1n1r2r)\sum_{r=1}^{n} \dbinom{n}{r} H_{r} = 2^{n}\left( H_{n} - \sum_{r=1}^{n} \dfrac{1}{r 2^r} \right)

#Algebra

Note by Ishan Singh
3 years, 12 months ago

No vote yet
1 vote

Easy Math Editor

This discussion board is a place to discuss our Daily Challenges and the math and science related to those challenges. Explanations are more than just a solution — they should explain the steps and thinking strategies that you used to obtain the solution. Comments should further the discussion of math and science.

When posting on Brilliant:

• Use the emojis to react to an explanation, whether you're congratulating a job well done , or just really confused .
  • Ask specific questions about the challenge or the steps in somebody's explanation. Well-posed questions can add a lot to the discussion, but posting "I don't understand!" doesn't help anyone.
  • Try to contribute something new to the discussion, whether it is an extension, generalization or other idea related to the challenge.
  • Stay on topic — we're all here to learn more about math and science, not to hear about your favorite get-rich-quick scheme or current world events.

MarkdownAppears as
*italics* or _italics_ italics
**bold** or __bold__ bold

- bulleted
- list

• bulleted
  • list

1. numbered
2. list

1. numbered
  2. list
Note: you must add a full line of space before and after lists for them to show up correctly
paragraph 1

paragraph 2

paragraph 1

paragraph 2

[example link](https://brilliant.org)example link
> This is a quote
This is a quote
    # I indented these lines
    # 4 spaces, and now they show
    # up as a code block.

print "hello world"
# I indented these lines
# 4 spaces, and now they show
# up as a code block.

print "hello world"
MathAppears as
Remember to wrap math in \( ... \) or \[ ... \] to ensure proper formatting.
2 \times 3 2×3 2 \times 3
2^{34} 234 2^{34}
a_{i-1} ai1 a_{i-1}
\frac{2}{3} 23 \frac{2}{3}
\sqrt{2} 2 \sqrt{2}
\sum_{i=1}^3 i=13 \sum_{i=1}^3
\sin \theta sinθ \sin \theta
\boxed{123} 123 \boxed{123}

Comments

Note that r=1n1r2r  =  012(1+x+x2++xn1)dx  =  0121xn1xdx \sum_{r=1}^n \frac{1}{r 2^r} \; = \; \int_0^{\frac12} \big(1 + x + x^2 + \cdots + x^{n-1}\big)\,dx \; = \; \int_0^{\frac12}\frac{1-x^n}{1-x}\,dx so that 2n(Hnr=1n1r2r)=2n1211xn1xdx  =  2n0121(1y)nydy=2n012(k=1n(1)k1(nk)yk1)dy  =  k=1n(1)k12nkk(nk) \begin{aligned} 2^n\left(H_n - \sum_{r=1}^n \frac{1}{r 2^r}\right) & = 2^n \int_{\frac12}^1 \frac{1-x^n}{1-x}\,dx \; = \; 2^n\int_0^{\frac12} \frac{1 - (1-y)^n}{y}\,dy \\ & = 2^n \int_0^{\frac12}\left(\sum_{k=1}^n (-1)^{k-1}{n \choose k} y^{k-1}\right)\,dy \; = \; \sum_{k=1}^n \frac{(-1)^{k-1}2^{n-k}}{k}{n \choose k} \end{aligned} On the other hand, Hn  =  r=1n(1)r1r(nr) H_n \; = \; \sum_{r=1}^n \frac{(-1)^{r-1}}{r}{n \choose r} and hence r=1n(nr)Hr=r=1n(nr)k=1r(1)k1k(rk)=k=1nr=kn(1)k1k(nr)(rk)=k=1nr=kn(1)k1k(nk)(nkrk)  =  k=1n(1)k12nkk(nk)\begin{aligned} \sum_{r=1}^n {n \choose r}H_r & = \sum_{r=1}^n {n \choose r} \sum_{k=1}^r \frac{(-1)^{k-1}}{k}{r \choose k} \\ & = \sum_{k=1}^n \sum_{r=k}^n \frac{(-1)^{k-1}}{k}{n \choose r}{r \choose k} \\ & = \sum_{k=1}^n \sum_{r=k}^n \frac{(-1)^{k-1}}{k}{n \choose k}{n-k \choose r-k} \; = \; \sum_{k=1}^n \frac{(-1)^{k-1}2^{n-k}}{k}{n \choose k} \end{aligned} and we are done.

Mark Hennings - 3 years, 12 months ago

(+1) Nice method! I discovered another method while solving Challenge 4 to this question, which I have posted. Previously in the limit problem I posted, I used SBP.

Ishan Singh - 3 years, 11 months ago

From Binomial Coefficient Challenge 4, we have,

k=0n1(kr)1nk=(nr)(HnHr)\sum_{k=0}^{n-1} \dbinom{k}{r} \dfrac{1}{n-k} = \dbinom{n}{r} (H_{n} - H_{r})

    r=0nk=0n1(kr)1nk=r=0n((nr)(HnHr)) \implies \sum_{r=0}^{n} \sum_{k=0}^{n-1} \dbinom{k}{r} \dfrac{1}{n-k} = \sum_{r=0}^{n} \left( \dbinom{n}{r} (H_{n} - H_{r}) \right)

    k=0n12knk=2nHnr=0n(nr)Hr \implies \sum_{k=0}^{n-1} \dfrac{2^{k}}{n-k} = 2^n H_{n} - \sum_{r=0}^{n} \dbinom{n}{r} H_{r}

    r=0n(nr)Hr=2nHnk=0n12knk \implies \sum_{r=0}^{n} \dbinom{n}{r} H_{r} = 2^n H_{n} - \sum_{k=0}^{n-1} \dfrac{2^{k}}{n-k}

Re-indexing, we have,

r=1n(nr)Hr=2n(Hnr=1n1r2r) \sum_{r=1}^{n} \dbinom{n}{r} H_{r} = 2^{n}\left( H_{n} - \sum_{r=1}^{n} \dfrac{1}{r 2^r} \right) \ \square

Another approach can be to use Summation By Parts.

Nice solution! The straightforward approach is as Sir Mark has given. How will you do with Summation by parts? I was thinking of somehow using generating functions but it didn't seem quite neat.

Kartik Sharma - 3 years, 11 months ago

Start with the L.H.S. and use k=1rHk=(r+1)(Hr+11) \sum_{k=1}^{r} H_{k} = (r+1)(H_{r+1} - 1)

and then using some binomial identities, recreate the sum and along with that, you'll get another term containing with R.H.S.

@Mark Hennings @Kartik Sharma

Ishan Singh - 3 years, 12 months ago

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...