c-14

carbon 14 is a carbon with a radioactive isotope that contains 8 protons and 6 neutrons. when a person dies, the body releases more and more c-14 from it and eventually there will be no more in about 60,000 years later. using c-14, we can find out how old living stuff was, including plants, animals, and humans. tree ring dating was known for a long time. when you look at a cut down tree, you can see that there are rings on it. every year, a trees tissues form a ring. when the weather was dry, there are less tissues so the ring is small and shriveled. when the weather is wet, then there are more tissues and the tree is healthier so it forms a bigger ring. using both of the ways, we can find out when a living being died, and why.

Note by A Former Brilliant Member
3 years, 7 months ago

No vote yet
1 vote

Easy Math Editor

This discussion board is a place to discuss our Daily Challenges and the math and science related to those challenges. Explanations are more than just a solution — they should explain the steps and thinking strategies that you used to obtain the solution. Comments should further the discussion of math and science.

When posting on Brilliant:

• Use the emojis to react to an explanation, whether you're congratulating a job well done , or just really confused .
  • Ask specific questions about the challenge or the steps in somebody's explanation. Well-posed questions can add a lot to the discussion, but posting "I don't understand!" doesn't help anyone.
  • Try to contribute something new to the discussion, whether it is an extension, generalization or other idea related to the challenge.
  • Stay on topic — we're all here to learn more about math and science, not to hear about your favorite get-rich-quick scheme or current world events.

MarkdownAppears as
*italics* or _italics_ italics
**bold** or __bold__ bold

- bulleted
- list

• bulleted
  • list

1. numbered
2. list

1. numbered
  2. list
Note: you must add a full line of space before and after lists for them to show up correctly
paragraph 1

paragraph 2

paragraph 1

paragraph 2

[example link](https://brilliant.org)example link
> This is a quote
This is a quote
    # I indented these lines
    # 4 spaces, and now they show
    # up as a code block.

print "hello world"
# I indented these lines
# 4 spaces, and now they show
# up as a code block.

print "hello world"
MathAppears as
Remember to wrap math in \( ... \) or \[ ... \] to ensure proper formatting.
2 \times 3 2×3 2 \times 3
2^{34} 234 2^{34}
a_{i-1} ai1 a_{i-1}
\frac{2}{3} 23 \frac{2}{3}
\sqrt{2} 2 \sqrt{2}
\sum_{i=1}^3 i=13 \sum_{i=1}^3
\sin \theta sinθ \sin \theta
\boxed{123} 123 \boxed{123}

Comments

Lucia what subject do you put your written answer questions on because it wont let me because all the answers have to be a number or something.

A Former Brilliant Member - 3 years, 7 months ago

learning this in social studies and science

hey lucia its me sophie i changed my acct. Im dobby dumbledore

Dobby Dumbledore - 3 years, 7 months ago

why? why? why?..... are you siriusly kidding me? *no pun intended i just spelled it incorrectly and i dont want to delette et cuz im lazy

future harvard student: like it. im a future mit student and a future astronaut, pilot, and olympic skier/ ski patrol. todays OEC refresher was awesome! i got a scholarship thingy cuz im underage but they let me in!

YA i went to harvard on friday and i got to meet 2 of the professors. It was AWESOME!! And I got a sweatshirt. I will wear it to school tomorrow. See you soon Lucia!

Dobby Dumbledore - 3 years, 7 months ago

@Dobby Dumbledore OMG THAT LOOKS SO OOOOOOOO COOL HEY GUESS WHAT I GOT A 45,000$ SCHOLARSHIP AND A 13,000$ SCHOLARSHIP FOR FLIGHT TRAINING/PILOT LESSONS OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Dobby Dumbledore i have been at harvard too it was awesome hey if i dont get in MIT can i join u at harvard?

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...