Doubt!

Let x=1+3a+6a2+10a3+x=1+3a+6a^2+10a^3+\dots and y=1+4b+10b2+20b3+y=1+4b+10b^2+20b^3+\dots for a<1\lvert a\rvert<1 and b<1\lvert b\rvert<1. Find S=1+3(ab)+5(ab)2+S=1+3(ab)+5(ab)^2+\dots in terms of xx and yy.

I found xx and yy in terms of aa and bb respectively, and then substituted in a closed expression for SS, which came out to be pretty complicated. This leads me to think that I'm wrong somewhere. Also, is there a method faster than finding closed expressions for xx and yy and then substituting or whatever?

#Sequences #Series #SumOfSeries #SumOfSequence #SummationOfSeries

Note by Omkar Kulkarni
5 years, 11 months ago

No vote yet
1 vote

Easy Math Editor

This discussion board is a place to discuss our Daily Challenges and the math and science related to those challenges. Explanations are more than just a solution — they should explain the steps and thinking strategies that you used to obtain the solution. Comments should further the discussion of math and science.

When posting on Brilliant:

• Use the emojis to react to an explanation, whether you're congratulating a job well done , or just really confused .
  • Ask specific questions about the challenge or the steps in somebody's explanation. Well-posed questions can add a lot to the discussion, but posting "I don't understand!" doesn't help anyone.
  • Try to contribute something new to the discussion, whether it is an extension, generalization or other idea related to the challenge.
  • Stay on topic — we're all here to learn more about math and science, not to hear about your favorite get-rich-quick scheme or current world events.

MarkdownAppears as
*italics* or _italics_ italics
**bold** or __bold__ bold

- bulleted
- list

• bulleted
  • list

1. numbered
2. list

1. numbered
  2. list
Note: you must add a full line of space before and after lists for them to show up correctly
paragraph 1

paragraph 2

paragraph 1

paragraph 2

[example link](https://brilliant.org)example link
> This is a quote
This is a quote
    # I indented these lines
    # 4 spaces, and now they show
    # up as a code block.

print "hello world"
# I indented these lines
# 4 spaces, and now they show
# up as a code block.

print "hello world"
MathAppears as
Remember to wrap math in \( ... \) or \[ ... \] to ensure proper formatting.
2 \times 3 2×3 2 \times 3
2^{34} 234 2^{34}
a_{i-1} ai1 a_{i-1}
\frac{2}{3} 23 \frac{2}{3}
\sqrt{2} 2 \sqrt{2}
\sum_{i=1}^3 i=13 \sum_{i=1}^3
\sin \theta sinθ \sin \theta
\boxed{123} 123 \boxed{123}

Comments

Hint: Differentiate the series n=1an=a1a \displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^\infty a^n = \frac a{1-a} with respect to aa.

Pi Han Goh - 5 years, 11 months ago

Nope, not getting it. Also, we haven't learned differentiation yet, so I can't say I'm familiar enough with derivatives. Could you explain?

Omkar Kulkarni - 5 years, 11 months ago

Okay, I will do for xx. I take it that 1,3,6,10,1,3,6,10,\ldots are all triangular numbers. then x=n=1n(n+1)2an1 x = \displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac {n(n+1)}2 a^{n-1} .

If we differentiate n=1an=a1a \displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^\infty a^n = \frac a{1-a} , we get n=1nan1=1(1a)2 \displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^\infty na^{n-1} = \frac 1{(1-a)^2 } . Differentiate once more, we get n=1n(n1)an2=2(1a)3 \displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^\infty n(n-1)a^{n-2} = \frac 2{(1-a)^3 } . Then,

2x=n=1n(n+1)an1=n=1(n(n1)+2n)an1=n=1n(n1)an1+2n=1nan1=an=1n(n1)an2+2n=1nan1=a2(1a)3+21(1a)2=2a(1a)3 \begin{aligned} \displaystyle 2x &=& \sum_{n=1}^\infty n(n+1) a^{n-1} \\ &=& \sum_{n=1}^\infty (n(n-1) + 2n) a^{n-1} \\ &=& \sum_{n=1}^\infty n(n-1) a^{n-1} + 2 \sum_{n=1}^\infty n a^{n-1} \\ &=& a \sum_{n=1}^\infty n(n-1) a^{n-2} + 2 \sum_{n=1}^\infty n a^{n-1} \\ &=& a \cdot \frac2{(1-a)^3} + 2 \cdot \frac1{(1-a)^2} \\ &=& \frac{2a}{(1-a)^3} \\ \end{aligned}

So x=a(1a)3 x = \frac{a}{(1-a)^3} . Using the same concept, we can state yy in terms of bb.

Now, a few tricks for yy: I assume 1,4,10,20,1,4,10,20,\ldots are tetratehedral numbers, that is Tn=n(n+1)(n+2)6T_n = \frac{n(n+1)(n+2)} 6 . Your mission here is to state n(n+1)(n+2)n(n+1)(n+2) in terms of a linear combination of n(n1)(n2),n(n1) n(n-1)(n-2) , n(n-1) and nn like what I've done above for xx.

Another thing to note that SS is an arithmetic geometric progression.

Can you finish it off?

@Pi Han Goh Oh okay. But isn't that the same as what I did? Find aa in terms of xx, bb in terms of yy and substitute in SS?

@Omkar Kulkarni I don't know what method you did, I just input my thoughts on how to solve it.

@Pi Han Goh Right. Thanks! :D

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...