Geometry (1st math Thailand POSN 2014)

1.) Explain how to construct a square with the same area of any given quadrilaterals.

2.) Let \(P\) be a point in \(\triangle ABC\). Extend \(\overline{AP}, \overline{BP}, \overline{CP}\) intersect \(\overline{BC}, \overline{CA}, \overline{AB}\) at point \(D,E,F\) respectively. If \(\square ACDF\) and \(\square BCEF\) are cyclic quadrilaterals, prove that \(\square PDBF\) is also cyclic quadrilateral.

3.) Use Ceva's theorem to prove that the 3 angle bisectors of ABC\triangle ABC intersect at 1 point.

4.) Let ABC\triangle ABC with point II as incenter. Extend AI\overline{AI} intersect circumcircle of ABC\triangle ABC at point PP.

• 4.1) If point IaI_{a} is the center of excircle of ABC\triangle ABC which is opposite to angle AA, prove that PP is the center of the circumcenter of ICIaB\square ICI_{a}B

• 4.2) Prove that 2sin(BI^C)=BCPI\displaystyle 2\sin{(B\hat{I}C)} = \frac{BC}{PI}

5.) Let PQRS\square PQRS has an incircle, which is tangent to SP,PQ,QR,RS\overline{SP}, \overline{PQ}, \overline{QR}, \overline{RS} at point A,B,C,DA,B,C,D respectively. Extend AB\overline{AB} intersect SQ\overline{SQ} at point XX. Prove that point C,D,XC,D,X are collinear.

This is the part of Thailand 1st round math POSN problems.

#Geometry

Note by Samuraiwarm Tsunayoshi
6 years, 8 months ago

No vote yet
1 vote

Easy Math Editor

This discussion board is a place to discuss our Daily Challenges and the math and science related to those challenges. Explanations are more than just a solution — they should explain the steps and thinking strategies that you used to obtain the solution. Comments should further the discussion of math and science.

When posting on Brilliant:

• Use the emojis to react to an explanation, whether you're congratulating a job well done , or just really confused .
  • Ask specific questions about the challenge or the steps in somebody's explanation. Well-posed questions can add a lot to the discussion, but posting "I don't understand!" doesn't help anyone.
  • Try to contribute something new to the discussion, whether it is an extension, generalization or other idea related to the challenge.
  • Stay on topic — we're all here to learn more about math and science, not to hear about your favorite get-rich-quick scheme or current world events.

MarkdownAppears as
*italics* or _italics_ italics
**bold** or __bold__ bold

- bulleted
- list

• bulleted
  • list

1. numbered
2. list

1. numbered
  2. list
Note: you must add a full line of space before and after lists for them to show up correctly
paragraph 1

paragraph 2

paragraph 1

paragraph 2

[example link](https://brilliant.org)example link
> This is a quote
This is a quote
    # I indented these lines
    # 4 spaces, and now they show
    # up as a code block.

print "hello world"
# I indented these lines
# 4 spaces, and now they show
# up as a code block.

print "hello world"
MathAppears as
Remember to wrap math in \( ... \) or \[ ... \] to ensure proper formatting.
2 \times 3 2×3 2 \times 3
2^{34} 234 2^{34}
a_{i-1} ai1 a_{i-1}
\frac{2}{3} 23 \frac{2}{3}
\sqrt{2} 2 \sqrt{2}
\sum_{i=1}^3 i=13 \sum_{i=1}^3
\sin \theta sinθ \sin \theta
\boxed{123} 123 \boxed{123}

Comments

1.) I tried to make the rectangle, let's say length a,ba,b. I tried to do by making a line length a+ba+b and draw a semicircle diameter of a+ba+b. Then I draw a perpendicular line at where the sides join and we get length ab\sqrt{ab}. And we're done, maybe.

Samuraiwarm Tsunayoshi - 6 years, 8 months ago

2) FDP=ADF=ACF\angle FDP=\angle ADF=\angle ACF since ACDFACDF is cyclic. ACF=ECP=FBP\angle ACF=\angle ECP=\angle FBP since BCEFBCEF is cyclic. Hence FBP=FDP    PDBF\angle FBP=\angle FDP \implies PDBF is cyclic.

Joel Tan - 6 years, 8 months ago

Problem 1: Easy one. See here.

Problem 2: First notice that PEF=BEF=BCF=DCF=DAF=PAF\angle PEF=\angle BEF=\angle BCF=\angle DCF=\angle DAF=\angle PAF so AFPEAFPE is cyclic. Hence DBF=CBF=AEF=APF=πFPD\angle DBF=\angle CBF=\angle AEF=\angle APF=\pi-\angle FPD implies PDBFPDBF is cyclic. Furthermore notice that PDB=ADB=πADC=πAFC=BFP\angle PDB=\angle ADB=\pi-\angle ADC=\pi-\angle AFC=\angle BFP so ADB=CFB=90\angle ADB=\angle CFB=90^\circ. So PP must be the orthocenter of ABC\triangle ABC.

Problem 3: Consider ABC\triangle ABC where ADAD, BEBE, CFCF are angle bisectors, with D,E,FD,E,F intersections with opposite sides. By Angle Bisector Theorem we have BD/DC=AB/ACBD/DC=AB/AC, CE/EA=BC/ABCE/EA=BC/AB, AF/FB=AC/BCAF/FB=AC/BC. Multiplying these cancels Ceva. \square

Problem 4: Check the problem, the wordings are wrong.

Problem 5: Menelaus on QRS\triangle QRS.

Jubayer Nirjhor - 6 years, 7 months ago

No.4: Try right-click and open this image in new tab. I checked the problem 4 times and didn't see what is wrong.

alt text alt text

Samuraiwarm Tsunayoshi - 6 years, 7 months ago

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...