Geometry

I want a problem about circles, tangents, secants and inscribed angles. Please create some questions and problems! thank you!

#Geometry #Circles #TangentOfCircles

Note by Kheena Medina
6 years, 8 months ago

No vote yet
1 vote

Easy Math Editor

This discussion board is a place to discuss our Daily Challenges and the math and science related to those challenges. Explanations are more than just a solution — they should explain the steps and thinking strategies that you used to obtain the solution. Comments should further the discussion of math and science.

When posting on Brilliant:

• Use the emojis to react to an explanation, whether you're congratulating a job well done , or just really confused .
  • Ask specific questions about the challenge or the steps in somebody's explanation. Well-posed questions can add a lot to the discussion, but posting "I don't understand!" doesn't help anyone.
  • Try to contribute something new to the discussion, whether it is an extension, generalization or other idea related to the challenge.
  • Stay on topic — we're all here to learn more about math and science, not to hear about your favorite get-rich-quick scheme or current world events.

MarkdownAppears as
*italics* or _italics_ italics
**bold** or __bold__ bold

- bulleted
- list

• bulleted
  • list

1. numbered
2. list

1. numbered
  2. list
Note: you must add a full line of space before and after lists for them to show up correctly
paragraph 1

paragraph 2

paragraph 1

paragraph 2

[example link](https://brilliant.org)example link
> This is a quote
This is a quote
    # I indented these lines
    # 4 spaces, and now they show
    # up as a code block.

print "hello world"
# I indented these lines
# 4 spaces, and now they show
# up as a code block.

print "hello world"
MathAppears as
Remember to wrap math in \( ... \) or \[ ... \] to ensure proper formatting.
2 \times 3 2×3 2 \times 3
2^{34} 234 2^{34}
a_{i-1} ai1 a_{i-1}
\frac{2}{3} 23 \frac{2}{3}
\sqrt{2} 2 \sqrt{2}
\sum_{i=1}^3 i=13 \sum_{i=1}^3
\sin \theta sinθ \sin \theta
\boxed{123} 123 \boxed{123}

Comments

Here's a problem made to order for you, it has "circles, tangents, secants and inscribed angles" See graphic.

I Want A Problem I Want A Problem

Two circles 11 and 22 are tangent at point AA. Points (P,R)(P, R) are on circle 11. A secant is drawn through points (P,R)(P,R), and tangents are drawn through point PP and RR. These tangents intersect circle 22 at points QQ and SS. Another secant is drawn through points (Q,S)(Q,S), which intersects the other secant at point BB. Two more secants are drawn through points (Q,A)(Q,A) and points (S,A)(S,A). Prove that the line drawn through points (A,B)(A,B) bisects the angle between those two secants. That is, prove that the inscribed angles the two secants through (Q,A)(Q,A) and (S,A)(S,A) make with the line through (A,B)(A,B) are equal.

Michael Mendrin - 6 years, 8 months ago

Michael, I hope you haven't given him more than he can handle ;)

A Former Brilliant Member - 6 years, 8 months ago

Maybe I should come up with another problem with half as many things, you know, a problem about a circle, a tangent, a secant, and an inscribed angle. It's not easy coming up with a problem with multiples of each.

How about if you posted a solution for me to another one of my geometry problems? This one

You can guess but can you prove it?

Everybody's "solving" this one, but nobody has actually put up a full proof.

@Michael Mendrin Hehe I didn't read the note at the bottom of the question. Ooops. Back to the whiteboard.

A Former Brilliant Member - 6 years, 8 months ago

Okay, here's a problem made with fewer circles, tangents, secants, etc. See graphic

Geo Problem Geo Problem

Points A,B,CA,B,C lie on a circle. A tangent is drawn through point AA. Secants are drawn through points (A,B)(A,B) and points (B,C)(B,C). The two secants intersect at point DD. Prove that these two inscribed angles are equal DAC=ABC\angle DAC=\angle ABC

Check out the problems in Circles - Problem Solving - Basic and Circles - Problem Solving - Intermediate.

Calvin Lin Staff - 6 years, 8 months ago

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...