Help !!!

An equilateral triangle ABC and there is a point out of the triangle O AO = 3 , BO = 8 , CO = 5 . What's the length of AB ?!!

#Geometry

Note by Mohab Mahdy
6 years ago

No vote yet
1 vote

Easy Math Editor

This discussion board is a place to discuss our Daily Challenges and the math and science related to those challenges. Explanations are more than just a solution — they should explain the steps and thinking strategies that you used to obtain the solution. Comments should further the discussion of math and science.

When posting on Brilliant:

• Use the emojis to react to an explanation, whether you're congratulating a job well done , or just really confused .
  • Ask specific questions about the challenge or the steps in somebody's explanation. Well-posed questions can add a lot to the discussion, but posting "I don't understand!" doesn't help anyone.
  • Try to contribute something new to the discussion, whether it is an extension, generalization or other idea related to the challenge.
  • Stay on topic — we're all here to learn more about math and science, not to hear about your favorite get-rich-quick scheme or current world events.

MarkdownAppears as
*italics* or _italics_ italics
**bold** or __bold__ bold

- bulleted
- list

• bulleted
  • list

1. numbered
2. list

1. numbered
  2. list
Note: you must add a full line of space before and after lists for them to show up correctly
paragraph 1

paragraph 2

paragraph 1

paragraph 2

[example link](https://brilliant.org)example link
> This is a quote
This is a quote
    # I indented these lines
    # 4 spaces, and now they show
    # up as a code block.

print "hello world"
# I indented these lines
# 4 spaces, and now they show
# up as a code block.

print "hello world"
MathAppears as
Remember to wrap math in \( ... \) or \[ ... \] to ensure proper formatting.
2 \times 3 2×3 2 \times 3
2^{34} 234 2^{34}
a_{i-1} ai1 a_{i-1}
\frac{2}{3} 23 \frac{2}{3}
\sqrt{2} 2 \sqrt{2}
\sum_{i=1}^3 i=13 \sum_{i=1}^3
\sin \theta sinθ \sin \theta
\boxed{123} 123 \boxed{123}

Comments

There is a formula that can be derived for the side length of the equilateral triangle given distances from a point inside to the vertices. The formula is (43A+a2+b2+c2)/2\sqrt{(4 \sqrt{3} A + a^2 + b^2 + c^2)/2} where A is area of a triangle formed by those distances. In our case the point is outside of equilateral triangle, and the distances form degenerate triangle of area 0. AB=(32+52+82)/2=7AB=\sqrt{(3^2 + 5^2 + 8^2)/2} = \boxed{7} I think formula for the side length when the point is outside would be: x=(a2+b2+c243A)/2 x = \sqrt{(a^2 + b^2 + c^2-4 \sqrt{3} A)/2} Degenerate triangle in our case is a segment of length 8. When we construct equilateral triangles on one end of the segment, one with side length 3 the other with side length 5,connect the vertices to the other end of the segment, we will get the side length AB. AOB=BOC=60\angle AOB = \angle BOC = 60. Using cosine law would get the result. x2=82+522×5×8×cos(60)=49x^2 = 8^2 + 5^2 - 2 \times 5 \times 8 \times cos(60) = 49

Maria Kozlowska - 6 years ago

sorry but i didn't understand what's the A ?!!

Mohab Mahdy - 6 years ago

A is this formula is an area of a triangle formed by AO, BO and CO - the formula for triangle area when just side lengths are given is called Heron's formula. In this case the triangle would be just a segment.

@Maria Kozlowska which area ??

@Mohab Mahdy Can you explain it with a design

@Mohab Mahdy I can not post an image for some reason. One way to do it would be to construct equilateral triangles on both sides of the 8 segment - BO. Then you can prove that when points A and C lie on the sides of these new triangles ABC is equilateral. The reason is that ABOandBCO2\triangle ABO and \triangle BCO2 are congruent and ABC=60\angle ABC = 60.

@Mohab Mahdy A triangle formed with sides 3, 5, and 8 is a straight line that has 0 area.

Niranjan Khanderia - 5 years ago

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...