Help please!

How many solutions are there to Zn1=iZZ^{n-1} =i \overline{Z} and what are the solutions?

#Algebra

Note by Anik Mandal
5 years, 3 months ago

No vote yet
1 vote

Easy Math Editor

This discussion board is a place to discuss our Daily Challenges and the math and science related to those challenges. Explanations are more than just a solution — they should explain the steps and thinking strategies that you used to obtain the solution. Comments should further the discussion of math and science.

When posting on Brilliant:

• Use the emojis to react to an explanation, whether you're congratulating a job well done , or just really confused .
  • Ask specific questions about the challenge or the steps in somebody's explanation. Well-posed questions can add a lot to the discussion, but posting "I don't understand!" doesn't help anyone.
  • Try to contribute something new to the discussion, whether it is an extension, generalization or other idea related to the challenge.
  • Stay on topic — we're all here to learn more about math and science, not to hear about your favorite get-rich-quick scheme or current world events.

MarkdownAppears as
*italics* or _italics_ italics
**bold** or __bold__ bold

- bulleted
- list

• bulleted
  • list

1. numbered
2. list

1. numbered
  2. list
Note: you must add a full line of space before and after lists for them to show up correctly
paragraph 1

paragraph 2

paragraph 1

paragraph 2

[example link](https://brilliant.org)example link
> This is a quote
This is a quote
    # I indented these lines
    # 4 spaces, and now they show
    # up as a code block.

print "hello world"
# I indented these lines
# 4 spaces, and now they show
# up as a code block.

print "hello world"
MathAppears as
Remember to wrap math in \( ... \) or \[ ... \] to ensure proper formatting.
2 \times 3 2×3 2 \times 3
2^{34} 234 2^{34}
a_{i-1} ai1 a_{i-1}
\frac{2}{3} 23 \frac{2}{3}
\sqrt{2} 2 \sqrt{2}
\sum_{i=1}^3 i=13 \sum_{i=1}^3
\sin \theta sinθ \sin \theta
\boxed{123} 123 \boxed{123}

Comments

Multiply both sides by z z to get zn=iz2z=1 z^n = i|z|^2 \Rightarrow |z| = 1 after considering the modulus of both sides. So, we get zn=i z^n = i which are just the nth roots of i i .

Ameya Daigavane - 5 years, 3 months ago

How to find the nth roots of ii?

Anik Mandal - 5 years, 3 months ago

Sorry, I should have added that. Express ii as eiπ/2e^{i\pi/2} , and let z=eiθ z = e^{i\theta} We have n roots given by,
( k k goes from 0 0 to n1 n - 1 ):
zn=eiπ/2einθ=eiπ/2nθ=2kπ+π/2θ=(4k+1)π2nzk=ei(4k+1)π2n z^n = e^{i\pi/2} \\ \Rightarrow e^{in\theta} = e^{i\pi/2} \\ \Rightarrow n\theta = 2k\pi + \pi/2 \\ \Rightarrow \theta = \frac{(4k+ 1)\pi}{2n} \\ \Rightarrow z_k = e^{\frac{i(4k+ 1)\pi}{2n}}

Ameya Daigavane - 5 years, 3 months ago

@Ameya Daigavane I am not too familiar with complex numbers..Can you please explain why nθ=2kπ+π2n\theta = 2k\pi+\frac{\pi}{2}

Anik Mandal - 5 years, 2 months ago

@Anik Mandal Sure!
When you look at the complex plane, you see this: the complex plane the complex plane Each point in this plane determines a unique complex number.
For a point, the x coordinate determines the real part, and the y coordinate determines the imaginary part. In the figure, we have z=x+iy z = x + iy .
This is called the Cartesian representation of a complex number. We can also represent complex numbers in another form, called the polar form.
In the polar form, each number is represented by two parameters, its modulus (r in the figure, the distance from the origin) and its argument (ϕ \phi , the angle shown in the figure). By varying these parameters, we can reach every complex number.
But if you think about it, how can the argument take a unique value for a specific zz ?
Indeed, if we rotated the angle by 2π 2\pi radians then we would get the same number again. If we rotated it by 2π 2\pi again, for a total of 4π4 \pi radians, we would get z z again! So we've seen that the argument is not affected by adding a multiple of 2π2\pi.
Keep this in mind whenever we think about arguments of complex numbers.

We need to find a way to relate the two representations. Trigonometry is the way!
Looking at the right-angled triangle in the figure,
x=rcosϕx = r \cos \phi , and y=rsinϕ y = r \sin \phi , so, z=r(cosϕ+i sinϕ)z = r( \cos \phi + i\ sin \phi )
It looks neat.
But where does eiϕe^{i\phi} come from? The answer is here, Euler's formula.
This is the reason why complex numbers are so powerful. With this, we have,
eiϕ=(cosϕ+i sinϕ)e^{i\phi} = (\cos \phi + i\ sin \phi ) , so z=reiϕ z = r e^{i\phi}
If I'm saying z1=r1eiϕ1=z2=r2eiϕ2z_1 = r_1e^{i\phi_1} = z_2 = r_2e^{i\phi_2}, I mean their moduli are equal, but their arguments could differ by a multiple of 2π2\pi. So ϕ1ϕ2=2kπ \phi_1 - \phi_2 = 2k\pi for some integer kk .

This is where nθ=2kπ+π2 n\theta = 2k\pi + \frac{\pi}{2} comes from, nθ n \theta is the same angle as π2 \frac{\pi}{2} upto a multiple of 2π2\pi.

Ameya Daigavane - 5 years, 2 months ago

@Ameya Daigavane That's was really helpful Sir!Thanks a lot! Sir one last doubt : Why was it k from 0 to n1n-1?

@Anik Mandal A polynomial of degree n has only n zeroes.

Thus k is from 0 to (n-1).

Harsh Shrivastava - 5 years, 2 months ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Why not 1 to n?

@Anik Mandal k=0 k = 0 and k=n k = n give the same root (arguments differ by 2π2\pi).

@Anik Mandal eix=cosx+isinxe^{ix} = cosx +isinx

Put x=pi/2,5pi/2,9pi/2,2kpi+pi/2x=pi/2,5pi/2,9pi/2 \cdots ,2kpi +pi/2, all will yeild i.

Hope this helps.

Harsh Shrivastava - 5 years, 2 months ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Yes i have understood!Thanks for answering..

What about z=0?

A Former Brilliant Member - 5 years, 2 months ago

Smooth observation, missed that during the multiplication. Then we also require n>1 n > 1 , though.

@Ameya Daigavane Yeah, thanks for pointing that out.

A Former Brilliant Member - 5 years, 2 months ago

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...