Mass of photon

Hi!! The other day I was reading the wave theory and read about the photon. I found it very interesting, as I found out that the rest mass of photon m0m_{0} = 0

Also. the speed u ,of photons = speed c, of light.

Substituting u in the above realtion, we get the denominator as 0. As the rest mass is also 0. Therefore, mass of photon = 00\frac{0}{0} = infinite

which is impossible so either the relation is wrong or the speed or something else.

Am I correct?? or there is something i have understood wrong???

Thank You

#Logic #Physics #Engineering #HelpMe! #Science #Advice #Opinions

Note by A Former Brilliant Member
8 years, 1 month ago

No vote yet
6 votes

Easy Math Editor

This discussion board is a place to discuss our Daily Challenges and the math and science related to those challenges. Explanations are more than just a solution — they should explain the steps and thinking strategies that you used to obtain the solution. Comments should further the discussion of math and science.

When posting on Brilliant:

• Use the emojis to react to an explanation, whether you're congratulating a job well done , or just really confused .
  • Ask specific questions about the challenge or the steps in somebody's explanation. Well-posed questions can add a lot to the discussion, but posting "I don't understand!" doesn't help anyone.
  • Try to contribute something new to the discussion, whether it is an extension, generalization or other idea related to the challenge.
  • Stay on topic — we're all here to learn more about math and science, not to hear about your favorite get-rich-quick scheme or current world events.

MarkdownAppears as
*italics* or _italics_ italics
**bold** or __bold__ bold

- bulleted
- list

• bulleted
  • list

1. numbered
2. list

1. numbered
  2. list
Note: you must add a full line of space before and after lists for them to show up correctly
paragraph 1

paragraph 2

paragraph 1

paragraph 2

[example link](https://brilliant.org)example link
> This is a quote
This is a quote
    # I indented these lines
    # 4 spaces, and now they show
    # up as a code block.

print "hello world"
# I indented these lines
# 4 spaces, and now they show
# up as a code block.

print "hello world"
MathAppears as
Remember to wrap math in \( ... \) or \[ ... \] to ensure proper formatting.
2 \times 3 2×3 2 \times 3
2^{34} 234 2^{34}
a_{i-1} ai1 a_{i-1}
\frac{2}{3} 23 \frac{2}{3}
\sqrt{2} 2 \sqrt{2}
\sum_{i=1}^3 i=13 \sum_{i=1}^3
\sin \theta sinθ \sin \theta
\boxed{123} 123 \boxed{123}

Comments

This equation only applies if m0>0m_0>0, and thereby v<cv<c. Objects with mass can never travel at the speed of light, since that would require an infinite energy.

Mattias Olla - 8 years, 1 month ago

You understood this wrong: 0/0 is not = infinite 0/0 is undefined.

Djordje Marjanovic - 8 years, 1 month ago

Practically...In nature ,...... Nothing is left Undefined by nature

Vamsi Krishna Appili - 8 years, 1 month ago

Such as limx0xx=1\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{x}{x} = 1. Here , we have defined the zeros by something else, making sense to 00\frac{0}{0}.

Clarence Chew - 8 years, 1 month ago

you know according to me 0/0 can be any real number. To understand first let us take some more examples what does 6/2 = 3 mean? it means how many times 2 makes 6 i.e., 3 times two makes 6. So, 0/0 means 0 multiplied by what makes 0. Hence 0 multiplied by any real number = 0. Therefore acc. to me 0/0 = R = Complex number ( as real no.s are all complex no.s)

A Former Brilliant Member - 8 years, 1 month ago

6/2=3 a unique solution. but 0/0 can be any value.thats why it is undefined.

Sreehari Vp - 8 years ago

Are you sure this relation is valid for photons?? I think it is true for all other particles but for a photon it is always better to equate E=hc/lambda with E=mc^2 (lambda is wavelength of the EM radiation/wave) to get the relation for mass.

Raghav Chaudhary - 8 years, 1 month ago

You're correct. The equation in the original post only applies to particles with positive, non-zero rest mass.

Adrian Falcone - 8 years, 1 month ago

who says the rest mass of photon is zero?have you ever noticed a photon at rest w.r.t you?

i think its wikipedia and even my teacher who says it is zero.

how they calculate?

@Sreehari Vp i don know that , but i ll tell u after i do nuclear physics from IIT(not joking)

@A Former Brilliant Member are you lokking for IIT. great.........

@Sreehari Vp Yup!! i need to do my graduation from there. What about you?? whats ur plan??

first of all 0/0 is not infinite............. actually it is wrong to say 0/0 is some very huge number......... well as a matter of fact there infinite real numbers between any two numbers. say between 0 and 1. so the mass of light can be a very small number too..... so 0/0 is not infinity it is some number but is not fixed.

karthik.ps sharma - 8 years ago

No, photons do not have mass, but they do have momentum. The proper, general equation to use is E^2 = m^2c^4 + p^2c^2 So in the case of a photon, m=0 so E = p*c or p = E/c. On the other hand, for a particle with mass m at rest (i.e., p = 0), you get back the famous E = mc^2. This equation often enters theoretical work in X-ray and Gamma-ray astrophysics, for example in Compton scattering where photons are treated as particles colliding with electrons.

( well , an astrophysicist says this...)

Sudha Parimala - 8 years ago

Thanx for the comment. I think I will get the anser after my graduation.

No, photons do not have mass, but they do have momentum. The proper, general equation to use is E2 = m2c4 + p2c2 So in the case of a photon, m=0 so E = pc or p = E/c. On the other hand, for a particle with mass m at rest (i.e., p = 0), you get back the famous E = mc2. This equation often enters theoretical work in X-ray and Gamma-ray astrophysics, for example in Compton scattering where photons are treated as particles colliding with electrons.

King VII - 8 years ago

According to my Field-Light theory......

When the Electron Losses a part of its mass (in emission of Light .. as electron goes from Ground state to Excited state ) ....and the Emitted mass will no longer have Charge (i.e., no Negative charge)... and thus called Photon ....

Photon = Charge Disabled Electron

None could Actually see a photon as it fastly Exists from this Universe(fixed Time rated Universe) in the Multiple collisions..

When I try to Calculate photon mass ...I got the Answer "ZERO" but I could Give dimensions of photon (Approximate)

Although Photon has some physical Dimensions...It has no mass.. (as a Fact ..we cant slow down Photon to Calculate mass....but we can Fasten Photon Speed)

I will give you the Dimensions of photon with in an hour

Vamsi Krishna Appili - 8 years, 1 month ago

MAY BE YOU ARE CORRECT , SINCE THIS EINSTIEN THEORY OF RELATIVITY IS A BIG MYSTERY MANY SCIENTIST DO NOT ACCEPT IT YOU ARE ALSO ONE OF THIS . BUT PHOTON MAY BE HAVE INFINITE MASS SINCE WE HAVE NOT SO SOPHISTICATED EQUIPMENT TO CALCULATE MOVING MASS BUT YOU ARE WRONG ATLAST SINCE YOU THINK THAT PHOTON HAVE EQUAL SPEED AS LIGHT BUT IT IS NOT POSSIBLE ACCORDING TO EINSTIEN POSTULATE . FOR SIMPLICITY IN OTHER EQUATION WE TAKE U=C

Zahid Shekh Mohammed - 8 years, 1 month ago

Not sure what you mean when you say that the theory of relativity is a big mystery. There are a lot of different experiments that verify both special and general relativity (muon lifetime, gravitational bending of starlight, minor adjustments to GPS satellites due to gravitational drag, etc). There's definitely a chance it could be inaccurate or incorrect, but I wouldn't go so far as saying "many scientist do not accept it".

Adrian Falcone - 8 years, 1 month ago

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...