Points and Ratings

Today we updated the way that points work on Brilliant. Every problem (including practice problems) now have points that are tied to the problem rating. The harder the problem, the more points you get. The hardest problems are worth around 250 points, the easiest problems are worth 10 points. All points are a multiple of 5.

Unrated problems start out at 100 points, and then as more people solve the problem, we compute a rating for the problem and update the # of points that it is worth.

For all users who signed up before we made this change, we corrected your points by taking the total # of problems you have solved, and multiplying that number by 125. It would have been very difficult for us to go back and figure out the rating of every single problem you solved and give you the "correct" # of points, so we gave everyone a generous multiple. Most of you have ended up with more points than you had previously. We did not decrease points for anyone.

Solving practice problems will now also update your ratings. We enabled this in order to give everyone a better indication of problem solving progress over time that encompasses more of your data. We are planning to make your ratings available in your profile, and they'll update periodically. Your points can be treated as a short-term progress indicator, and your ratings as a long-term progress indicator.

We hope these changes will make points and ratings more useful to you as an indication of your problem solving ability, and make it more fun to do challenging problems.

Happy problem solving.

#BrilliantAnnouncements

Note by Suyeon Khim
6 years, 11 months ago

1 vote

Easy Math Editor

This discussion board is a place to discuss our Daily Challenges and the math and science related to those challenges. Explanations are more than just a solution — they should explain the steps and thinking strategies that you used to obtain the solution. Comments should further the discussion of math and science.

When posting on Brilliant:

• Use the emojis to react to an explanation, whether you're congratulating a job well done , or just really confused .
  • Ask specific questions about the challenge or the steps in somebody's explanation. Well-posed questions can add a lot to the discussion, but posting "I don't understand!" doesn't help anyone.
  • Try to contribute something new to the discussion, whether it is an extension, generalization or other idea related to the challenge.
  • Stay on topic — we're all here to learn more about math and science, not to hear about your favorite get-rich-quick scheme or current world events.

MarkdownAppears as
*italics* or _italics_ italics
**bold** or __bold__ bold

- bulleted
- list

• bulleted
  • list

1. numbered
2. list

1. numbered
  2. list
Note: you must add a full line of space before and after lists for them to show up correctly
paragraph 1

paragraph 2

paragraph 1

paragraph 2

[example link](https://brilliant.org)example link
> This is a quote
This is a quote
    # I indented these lines
    # 4 spaces, and now they show
    # up as a code block.

print "hello world"
# I indented these lines
# 4 spaces, and now they show
# up as a code block.

print "hello world"
MathAppears as
Remember to wrap math in \( ... \) or \[ ... \] to ensure proper formatting.
2 \times 3 2×3 2 \times 3
2^{34} 234 2^{34}
a_{i-1} ai1 a_{i-1}
\frac{2}{3} 23 \frac{2}{3}
\sqrt{2} 2 \sqrt{2}
\sum_{i=1}^3 i=13 \sum_{i=1}^3
\sin \theta sinθ \sin \theta
\boxed{123} 123 \boxed{123}

Comments

We incorrectly computed your points in the change that we made two weeks ago. Rather than awarding existing users 125 points * # of problems you solved, we awarded 125 points * # of problems you viewed. Oops.

In any case, we rolled back the change and recomputed, using the same method outlined in the above note. Apologies in advance for any confusion this caused.

Suyeon Khim Staff - 6 years, 10 months ago

Can u give a rough estimate of about when the ratings shall become visible? That gives me an incentive to solve a particular subject when I am close to levelling up... Pls show them as soon as possible!

Pankaj Joshi - 6 years, 10 months ago

Yeah!I am also very eager to see my ratings...@Suyeon Khim When will they be visible?

Anik Mandal - 6 years, 10 months ago

Wow, 60,000 points to 400,000 points. Nice.

Unless I had 600,000 points before. Can't remember.

Daniel Liu - 6 years, 11 months ago

Just added in "we did not decrease points for anyone" for clarity.

Calvin Lin Staff - 6 years, 11 months ago

Hey sir. I solved 5 level 4 problems of combinatorics and some level 3 and still i didn't reach level 5. please seriously look into the matter as it is very annoying that you struggle and then there is no outcome

Kushagra Sahni - 6 years, 10 months ago

@Kushagra Sahni Hi Kushagra - it takes quite a lot of effort to level up in the subjects. I see that you're a level 5 in algebra and number theory - it likely took solving many difficult problems correctly to achieve that. Best of luck leveling up in combinatorics as well.

@Suyeon Khim Thanks Maam

Kushagra Sahni - 6 years, 10 months ago

Mine went from 96000 to 715650

Mardokay Mosazghi - 6 years, 11 months ago

Me too. That's nice... I see why you removed the shirts and lanyards now XD

Yuxuan Seah - 6 years, 11 months ago

shirts and lanyards??

David Lee - 6 years, 11 months ago

@David Lee Brilliant used to sell them in the older version.

Sharky Kesa - 6 years, 11 months ago

67000 to 391000

@Yuxuan Seah For some strange reason, I went from 101k to 387k which is less than yuxuan

Victor Loh - 6 years, 11 months ago

@Victor Loh I do more questions than you lol :D

@Victor Loh Well u solved less questions than Yuxuan :p

Happy Melodies - 6 years, 11 months ago

I went from 95000 points to 530000 points.

Sharky Kesa - 6 years, 11 months ago

From 115000 to 645625.Wow just like a dream!:)

Anik Mandal - 6 years, 11 months ago

@Anik Mandal Mine is the craziest: from about 175000 to 920000 wow

敬全 钟 - 6 years, 11 months ago

from like 10000 to 130000

David Lee - 6 years, 11 months ago

Since we can't see our ratings, do our levels change when we reach the certain amount of points required for that higher level? I mean, do the colors that we see change? HAHAHA

Astro Enthusiast - 6 years, 11 months ago

Your ratings will be back soon.

Suyeon Khim Staff - 6 years, 11 months ago

Will the colors change automatically or it will be updated once the ratings are back?

Astro Enthusiast - 6 years, 11 months ago

@Astro Enthusiast Your levels/colors will still change if you reach the rating necessary for a new level. You just can't see your ratings right now, but we're working on making them available again soon.

how soon is soon?

David Lee - 6 years, 10 months ago

I cant see my rating points on particular subjects why??

Simarjit Singh - 6 years, 11 months ago

I am facing the same problem can anyone tell a way out\

ashutosh mahapatra - 6 years, 11 months ago

Exactly. How do you view ratings? Or will they be there only after the ratings have been added to the public profile?

Your topic ratings will be back soon!

Yay :D

I got my new rating with 125 points for each problem I solved, on the same day that I completed 125 days streak. What a coincidence...

Shabarish Ch - 6 years, 11 months ago

:D It happens. Too bad I'm already far from 125 days. 156 here :) Keep your streak up!

I love streaks. I LOVE STREAKS. They help remind me to polish up my math each day... Especially since the higher your streak goes, the more you'll think about it and this really helps. The problem is that impatient people like me get slightly mad since it really takes hard work to get a high streak like 100+ days... :)

@Yuxuan Seah yeah exactly @Yuxuan Seah

Mardokay Mosazghi - 6 years, 11 months ago

@Yuxuan Seah This is dedicated to the staff and I suppose they have a look at it.

I think there should be a 'point booster' for streaks as well. That will be helpful for the community also as the people will open Brilliant more frequently(and therefore the addiction) in greed of points. The booster can get activated after completing 50-day, 100-day streak and so on.

@Yuxuan Seah As you say you love streaks, I would love to know what you think on this topic.

Kartik Sharma - 6 years, 11 months ago

May you be able to maintain your streak as well!!!

@Shabarish Ch Thank you thank you :D

You too. The problem is that once you get a super high streak, you know you just can't possibly keep it alive forever, and the day it dies, you're gonna feel like you died too... We all know that crushing feeling will come sooner or later. But #YOLO and so there :D

@Yuxuan Seah Dreading that day!

Hello; 1. What determines how I level up? 2. When will we have official chemistry and biology ratings? 4. Why am I missing question 3?

Agnishom Chattopadhyay - 6 years, 11 months ago

(Probably the right) Answers (I'm not Brilliant staff but I hope this is right):

1) There is something called a rating that determines this. You can't see your rating right now, but the staff is working to make it visible for users and you should be able to see it soon. The rating increases when you get something correct and goes down when you get something wrong. How much it changes by is determined by your rating and the rating of the problem you are attempting. There's a diagnostic test you can take to determine your rating to start with, but as for that, I don't know where to find it. You can only take it if you don't have a level yet and you can take it only once.

Ratings and levels:

<1250<1250 : Level 1

125015001250-1500 : Level 2

150017501500-1750 : Level 3

175020001750-2000 : Level 4

>2000>2000 : Level 5

2) Right now, although the tags have been added, there's apparently not enough activity in the tags yet to have an official, meaningful rating. So when there's more people actively participating in those tags, the rating for them will be official and hence the levels too.

4) I don't really know how to answer this D:

Hope this helps! :D

You're saying that "How much the rating changes is determined by your rating and the rating of the problem you are attempting", but I'm pretty sure your rating doesn't influence it anymore, you always simply get as many points as it is written on the problem, the amount that is determined by the overall difficulty of the problem that is the same for everyone.

mathh mathh - 6 years, 11 months ago

Thanks Brilliant, the changes were really useful, and I'll also mention that some minor UI changes were also good. But I'll add one thing, several #topics in Brilliant are not so full of problems, only those topics which are famous,like the combinatorics, number theory, etc. are only fed with good problems! All topics should have equally good attention.

Sagnik Saha - 6 years, 11 months ago

can you please tell us the number of points for each level?

Adarsh Kumar - 6 years, 11 months ago

I guess that is the reason my score jumped from around 20,000 to 98000 + in a couple of days ????

Sundar R - 6 years, 11 months ago

My points went from 200k to around 95k... I'm not overly concerned about my points, I'm just curious why I lost so many.

Nicolas Bryenton - 6 years, 10 months ago

Hi Nicolas, please see this comment.

Suyeon Khim, how were you able to get a link to the comment?

mathh mathh - 6 years, 10 months ago

@Mathh Mathh It might be a staff-only feature ...

Okay, so I guess I just missed when my points jumped up, and only noticed when they went down. Thank you!

I know this isn't the proper post for this, but how can I delete private solutions? I wanted to just keep a solution I was writing private because I wanted to reference something else, but now I cannot edit it or post it or anything. Please help! Thanks.

@Nicolas Bryenton Hi Nicolas – which problem did you write the solution for? You should be able to edit or delete your own solutions, but I can help if you're having trouble.

From 2013 I have been trying to collect points for prizes. Does it still exist? Before you make changes to system points, I think it's apt to be able to claim the prizes but several weeks ago when I tried to claim the prizes I couldn't find the menu.

Hafizh Ahsan Permana - 6 years, 11 months ago

Hi Hafizh, unfortunately that's no longer available. As the Brilliant community grew, it became too big of a task for our small team to handle. Points now exist as a tool to help you understand your progress as a problem solver.

@Suyeon Khim Why have you removed the feature to see our own rating after the problems' rating. It was quite useful. Do you intend to bring it back?

Satvik Golechha - 6 years, 11 months ago

@Suyeon Khim -Why am I not even able to see my present rating, leave alone the change in it after a question is answered?

Krishna Ar - 6 years, 11 months ago

@Krishna Ar Bro i am facing with the same problem or it may be a new bug or i think brilliant would have hided it because if anyone got wrong first attempt he will not solve further anymore if his level is about the 1750-1760 or like boundries of ratings will decrease in his level from present. I think brillaint hided so that people wouldnt stop avoiding problems if mistried one attemept. happy problem solving which is moto of Brilliant.And may be following it.

This is my point of view..

What you say. ..??

Akshay Sant - 6 years, 11 months ago

@Akshay Sant Yes, ratings are meant to be a long-term indicator of progress, not something that you worry about after every problem attempt. Part of improving is trying problems that you might get wrong, not avoiding them!

@Suyeon Khim Yes @Suyeon Khim i just raised a probability behind it.. Its not a guranteed statement.

Akshay Sant - 6 years, 11 months ago

@Suyeon Khim Do I level down even If I solve a single practice section problem incorrectly? This happened to me- as you can see I've leveled down from 4 to 3 in calculus. WHy??? @Suyeon Khim

Krishna Ar - 6 years, 11 months ago

@Krishna Ar Your ratings will be back soon.

@Suyeon Khim They are not back and it's already September... :/

Pengu Ultimatrix - 6 years, 9 months ago

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...