Some generalized stuff by me (extension) - (2)

All of us have solved many problems on cubic polynomials who have their roots in Arithmetic Progression and Geometric Progression.So I have found a relationship between the coefficients of these polynomials which makes these roots special in this note.

Now by suggestion of Pi Han Goh , I have found a relationship between the coefficients of a cubic polynomial whose roots form an Harmonic Progression.

Consider a polynomial : α1x3+α2x2+α3x+α4\alpha_1x^3+\alpha_2x^2+\alpha_3x+\alpha_4.

Let its roots be β,γ,λ\beta , \gamma , \lambda such that they form a harmonic progression.So we have a relation :

γ=2βλβ+λ(1)β+λ=2βλγ(2)γ(β+λ)=2βλ(3)\Rightarrow \gamma = \dfrac{2\beta\lambda}{\beta + \lambda} \dots (1) \\ \Rightarrow \beta+\lambda = \dfrac{2\beta\lambda}{\gamma} \dots(2) \\ \Rightarrow \gamma(\beta+\lambda) = 2\beta\lambda \dots (3)

Now our favorite polynomial tool cum friend that is , Vieta's formula will help us to have some more relations:

σ1=β+γ+λ=α2α1(4)σ2=βγ+βλ+λγ=α3α1(5)σ3=βγλ=α4α1(6)\sigma_1=\beta +\gamma + \lambda = \dfrac{-\alpha_2}{\alpha_1} \dots (4) \\ \sigma_2=\beta\gamma + \beta\lambda + \lambda\gamma = \dfrac{\alpha_3}{\alpha_1} \dots (5) \\ \sigma_3= \beta\gamma\lambda = \dfrac{-\alpha_4}{\alpha_1} \dots (6)

Using (3),(5)(3),(5) we have:

βγ+βλ+λγ=α3α1γ(β+λ)+βλ=α3α12βλ+βλ=α3α13βλ=α3α1βλ=α33α1(7)\beta\gamma + \beta\lambda + \lambda\gamma = \dfrac{\alpha_3}{\alpha_1} \\ \Rightarrow \gamma(\beta+\lambda)+\beta\lambda = \dfrac{\alpha_3}{\alpha_1} \\ \Rightarrow 2\beta\lambda + \beta\lambda= \dfrac{\alpha_3}{\alpha_1} \\ \Rightarrow 3\beta\lambda = \dfrac{\alpha_3}{\alpha_1} \\\Rightarrow \beta\lambda = \dfrac{\alpha_3}{3\alpha_1} \dots (7)

Using (6),(7)(6),(7) , we have:

βγλ=α4α1α33α1γ=α4α1γ=α4(3α1)α1α3γ=3α4α3(8) \beta\gamma\lambda = \dfrac{-\alpha_4}{\alpha_1} \\\Rightarrow \dfrac{\alpha_3}{3\alpha_1} \gamma = \dfrac{-\alpha_4}{\alpha_1} \\ \Rightarrow \gamma = \dfrac{-\alpha_4(3\alpha_1)}{\alpha_1\alpha_3} \\ \Rightarrow \gamma = \dfrac{-3\alpha_4}{\alpha_3} \dots (8)

Using (2),(4),(7),(8)(2) , (4) , (7) , (8) , we have:

β+γ+λ=α2α12βλγ+γ=α2α1(2α33α1)3α4α33α4α3=α2α12α329α1α43α4α3=α2α12α33+27α1α429α1α3α4=α2α1\beta +\gamma + \lambda = \dfrac{-\alpha_2}{\alpha_1} \\\Rightarrow \dfrac{2\beta\lambda}{\gamma}+\gamma = \dfrac{-\alpha_2}{\alpha_1} \\\Rightarrow \dfrac{\left(\dfrac{2\alpha_3}{3\alpha_1}\right)}{ \dfrac{3\alpha_4}{\alpha_3}} - \dfrac{-3\alpha_4}{\alpha_3} = \dfrac{-\alpha_2}{\alpha_1} \\\Rightarrow \dfrac{-2\alpha_3^2}{9\alpha_1\alpha_4} - \dfrac{3\alpha_4}{\alpha_3} = \dfrac{-\alpha_2}{\alpha_1} \\\Rightarrow \dfrac{2\alpha_3^3+27\alpha_1\alpha_4^2}{9\alpha_1\alpha_3\alpha_4} = \dfrac{\alpha_2}{\alpha_1}

This when cross multiplied we get the relation:

2α1α33+27(α1α4)2=9i=14αi\Large\boxed{ 2\alpha_1\alpha_3^3 + 27(\alpha_1\alpha_4)^2 = 9\displaystyle\prod_{i=1}^4 \alpha_i}

My Observation: Since I have found this out for a cubic polynomial , for this reasons are 9,279,27 are appearing in the relation? So for a nthn^{th} degree polynomial , will n2,n3n^2 , n^3 or more of nan^a types will appear in relation?

#Algebra

Note by Nihar Mahajan
6 years ago

No vote yet
1 vote

Easy Math Editor

This discussion board is a place to discuss our Daily Challenges and the math and science related to those challenges. Explanations are more than just a solution — they should explain the steps and thinking strategies that you used to obtain the solution. Comments should further the discussion of math and science.

When posting on Brilliant:

• Use the emojis to react to an explanation, whether you're congratulating a job well done , or just really confused .
  • Ask specific questions about the challenge or the steps in somebody's explanation. Well-posed questions can add a lot to the discussion, but posting "I don't understand!" doesn't help anyone.
  • Try to contribute something new to the discussion, whether it is an extension, generalization or other idea related to the challenge.
  • Stay on topic — we're all here to learn more about math and science, not to hear about your favorite get-rich-quick scheme or current world events.

MarkdownAppears as
*italics* or _italics_ italics
**bold** or __bold__ bold

- bulleted
- list

• bulleted
  • list

1. numbered
2. list

1. numbered
  2. list
Note: you must add a full line of space before and after lists for them to show up correctly
paragraph 1

paragraph 2

paragraph 1

paragraph 2

[example link](https://brilliant.org)example link
> This is a quote
This is a quote
    # I indented these lines
    # 4 spaces, and now they show
    # up as a code block.

print "hello world"
# I indented these lines
# 4 spaces, and now they show
# up as a code block.

print "hello world"
MathAppears as
Remember to wrap math in \( ... \) or \[ ... \] to ensure proper formatting.
2 \times 3 2×3 2 \times 3
2^{34} 234 2^{34}
a_{i-1} ai1 a_{i-1}
\frac{2}{3} 23 \frac{2}{3}
\sqrt{2} 2 \sqrt{2}
\sum_{i=1}^3 i=13 \sum_{i=1}^3
\sin \theta sinθ \sin \theta
\boxed{123} 123 \boxed{123}

Comments

@Calvin Lin @Pi Han Goh @Prasun Biswas I did it as you wanted :) Cheers!

Nihar Mahajan - 6 years ago

Did you notice that the final answer (in the box) is very similar to the one in arithmetic progression? Can you explain why?

Pi Han Goh - 6 years ago

If a,b,ca,b,c form an Arithmetic Progression , then 1a,1b,1c\dfrac{1}{a},\dfrac{1}{b},\dfrac{1}{c} form a Harmonic progression.May be this is responsible for the similarity.

If you observe what is changed you will see that the term 2α23α42\alpha_2^3\alpha_4 got changed to the term 2α1α332\alpha_1\alpha_3^3. So we see that α2α3 , α4α1\alpha_2 \rightarrow \alpha_3 \ , \ \alpha_4 \rightarrow \alpha_1.

@Nihar Mahajan @Pi Han Goh Please reply whether this is correct or not.

@Nihar Mahajan Oh yes! So is my statement is valid?

Sravanth C. - 6 years ago

I think it is because, Arithmetic Progression is nothing but the reciprocal of Harmonic Progression. But, I doubt whether this statement gives the complete explanation.

Well done Nihar! Here's a huge CHEERS!\huge CHEERS!

EDIT:Please go through Nihar's suggestion. :)

Its Nihar* not Bihar -_-

@Nihar Mahajan Ha ha! I am Sorry. . . My bad! the smart phone I'm using changes everything! And the small screen did the damage too!

Thanks. I will be equally satisfied if you posted just "Cheers". So Cheers!!!

@Nihar Mahajan Thanks! Modified it :P

Also I created a funny problem on you and me, while travelling I'll post that soon check that out!

P.S: keep watching, and stay tuned to brilliant.org :P

I hope you don't troll me in that problem :P :3 .Post it soon. ¨\ddot\smile.

@Nihar Mahajan Sorry, due to signal problems I am not able to do much. Also I am sorry if I'd wasted you time, I'll surely post it within an hour or so and don't forget to check it out. . .

@Nihar Mahajan Yes! I have finally posted it! See this, hope you enjoy it!

You should keep in mind that, with increase in the degree of the polynomial considered, there will be increase in the number of coefficients of the terms of the polynomial too. If you really think that there might be some kind of pattern, try repeating the same procedure for a degree 4 polynomial and see if you get some pattern which agrees with this obtained result for degree 33 polynomial.

If you think any such pattern exists (which I highly doubt since I think the relation will become more and more uncertain with increase in degree of the polynomial), try making a claim for the relation of coefficients of the degree nn polynomial and verify using induction on nn.

As I mentioned, I doubt there's a simple general result for higher degree polynomials. But, then again, I might be wrong. ;)

Prasun Biswas - 6 years ago

Yes sir, I agree with you, I tried doing it for a bi quadratic polynomial, though I didn't finish it (my bad laziness!), I think the result may not be obtained. . .

But, then again, I might be wrong.

Well then,I might be wrong too! ¨\huge\ddot\smile

Great work!

Thanks!!! Sorry I didn't notice your comment.

No worries bro . Do you have any plans on writing a paper on such results ? If so , I'm eager to read it !

Call the roots 1xy,1x,1x+y\dfrac1{x-y} , \dfrac1x , \dfrac1{x+y} , first find product of roots taken two at a time , then product of all roots and then divide the two to obtain the value of 1x\dfrac1x . Satisfy the equation with this value as 1x\dfrac1x is a root of the equation. Clearing off fractions yields the desired result.

Ankit Kumar Jain - 4 years, 2 months ago

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...