Vectors

Cross Product is only valid in R^3 or R^7. I am interested in knowing why it's not valid in 2D space.I tried to invoke it out while solving a proving problem and in the problem I took two 2D vectors and when did a cross over them got all thing along +Z axis x X y = z so how to get a physical sense or an intuition behind that (cross product invalid in 2D).

Note by Rishi Tiwari
2 years, 10 months ago

No vote yet
1 vote

Easy Math Editor

This discussion board is a place to discuss our Daily Challenges and the math and science related to those challenges. Explanations are more than just a solution — they should explain the steps and thinking strategies that you used to obtain the solution. Comments should further the discussion of math and science.

When posting on Brilliant:

• Use the emojis to react to an explanation, whether you're congratulating a job well done , or just really confused .
  • Ask specific questions about the challenge or the steps in somebody's explanation. Well-posed questions can add a lot to the discussion, but posting "I don't understand!" doesn't help anyone.
  • Try to contribute something new to the discussion, whether it is an extension, generalization or other idea related to the challenge.
  • Stay on topic — we're all here to learn more about math and science, not to hear about your favorite get-rich-quick scheme or current world events.

MarkdownAppears as
*italics* or _italics_ italics
**bold** or __bold__ bold

- bulleted
- list

• bulleted
  • list

1. numbered
2. list

1. numbered
  2. list
Note: you must add a full line of space before and after lists for them to show up correctly
paragraph 1

paragraph 2

paragraph 1

paragraph 2

[example link](https://brilliant.org)example link
> This is a quote
This is a quote
    # I indented these lines
    # 4 spaces, and now they show
    # up as a code block.

print "hello world"
# I indented these lines
# 4 spaces, and now they show
# up as a code block.

print "hello world"
MathAppears as
Remember to wrap math in \( ... \) or \[ ... \] to ensure proper formatting.
2 \times 3 2×3 2 \times 3
2^{34} 234 2^{34}
a_{i-1} ai1 a_{i-1}
\frac{2}{3} 23 \frac{2}{3}
\sqrt{2} 2 \sqrt{2}
\sum_{i=1}^3 i=13 \sum_{i=1}^3
\sin \theta sinθ \sin \theta
\boxed{123} 123 \boxed{123}

Comments

The structure of vector products in V3\mathbb{V}^3 (three-dimensional vector space over an arbitrary field), which correspond to the usual Euclidean vector product and any generalisation based on arbitrary symmetric bilinear forms, is very different to that in V7\mathbb{V}^7, where certain luxuries that are present in our original framework do not hold, e.g. the Jacobi identity and Lagrange's formula.

In fact, the idea of a vector product outside of V3\mathbb{V}^3 should not be tackled within the realm of linear algebra. Thus, we must look outwards and rely on tools from geometric algebra. The notion of exterior products being a subspace of vectors in Vn\mathbb{V}^n perpendicular to a number of vectors is easier to interpret geometrically and algebraically, and is an ideal tool for extending vector products outside of V3\mathbb{V}^3.

To answer your question directly, look up Hurwitz's theorem. Again, working outside linear algebra and extending to geometric algebra is much more intuitive and less taxing on the current framework.

A Former Brilliant Member - 2 years, 9 months ago

Help with this https://brilliant.org/discussions/thread/vector-analysis/

Rishi Tiwari - 2 years, 9 months ago

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...