1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Logic Level 2

× = \Large \square \, \square \times \square = \square \, \square \, \square

In each \square , we use a distinct digit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

What is the right hand side?

The answer is 162.

This section requires Javascript.
You are seeing this because something didn't load right. We suggest you, (a) try refreshing the page, (b) enabling javascript if it is disabled on your browser and, finally, (c) loading the non-javascript version of this page . We're sorry about the hassle.

1 solution

The single digit in \square can't be 1 , 5 , 6 1,5,6 because If you multiply a two-digit number by 1, you get the same number. If you multiply a two-digit number by 6, with last digit 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 1,2,3,4,5 , you'll get a number ending in 6,2,8,4,0 and this implies that this case is impossible . If you multiply a two-digit number by 5, the last digit will end in 0, 5,. So this case is impossible too, (why?).

Therefore, the single digit in \square is 2 , 3 2,3 or 4 4 . Playing a little bit, you'll get 54 × 3 = 162 54 \times 3 = 162 .

Final review.- We just only have the digits 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 1,2,3,4,5,6 and we can just only use it once. If you multiply a two-digit number A A by 2 \boxed{2} , to get a 3-digit number, A A must start with 5 or 6. But, then what happens?... ( 65 × 2 = 130 65 \times 2 = 130 , uff, you/we almost get it :)... )

If you multiply a two-digit number A A by 4 \boxed{4} , to get a 3-digit number, A A must start with 3,5 or 6. But, then what happens?... If A A start at 3, what happens?... If A A start with 5 , you'll get a three digit number starting at 2, and if you multiply a number by 4 with last digit 1 , 2 , 3 , 5 , 6 1,2,3,5,6 you'll get a number ending in 4,8, 2, 0, 4. For example, ( 53 × 4 = 212 53 \times 4 = 212 ,uff, you/we almost get it :)...). If A A start at 6 , you'll get a three digit number starting at 2. For example, ( 63 × 4 = 252 63 \times 4 = 252 ,uff, you almost get it :)...).

So, we only can use 3 \boxed{3} like single digit in \square . If you multiply a two-digit number A A by 3, to get a 3-digit number, A A must start at 4,5 or 6. A two digit number ending in 1 , 2 , 4 , 5 , 6 1,2,4,5,6 multiplied by 3, you'll get a number ending in 3,6,2,5,8. This implies that the two digit number can't start at 4 (why?) (Hint: Use hit, hit and trial... 42 × 3 = 126 42 \times 3 = 126 uff, you/we almost get it).The two digit number can't start at 6, either, (Why?) (Hint: this time don't use hit and trial) . Therefore, The only possibility is 54 × 3 = 162 54 \times 3 = 162

Wow, this was an old problem of mine. Thanks for adding a solution!

My approach was to look at the possible "last-digit multiplications", like how you pointed out that the single digit needed to be 2, 3 or 4. After that, it felt mostly trial and error, so I wasn't surprised that this problem didn't become well-liked.

Chung Kevin - 4 years, 4 months ago

I still have to prove that there are no more solutions, that is, that 162 is the only possible solution to this problem...

Guillermo Templado - 4 years, 4 months ago

Yes. I used a lot of trial and error to show that no other values worked, so my solution wasn't exciting.

Chung Kevin - 4 years, 4 months ago

@Chung Kevin be calm, I'll try to solve this question... But I used trial and error, too. It's necessary many times.

@Guillermo Templado I have finished the proof, Chung, I would like your review. Effectively, the only possibilty is 162

0 pending reports

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...