100 < 10 < 1

How many 3 digit numbers are there, such that the hundreds digit is strictly smaller than the tens digit, which is strictly smaller than the units digit?

Can you solve this without listing?

Continued from ...

108 84 120 96

This section requires Javascript.
You are seeing this because something didn't load right. We suggest you, (a) try refreshing the page, (b) enabling javascript if it is disabled on your browser and, finally, (c) loading the non-javascript version of this page . We're sorry about the hassle.

4 solutions

Since the hundreds digit cannot be 0 0 and must be the smallest digit, we know that the 3 3 -digit numbers cannot have any 0 0 's.

Now for any three distinct digit chosen from the set { 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8 , 9 } \{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9\} there is only one way to arrange them in strictly ascending order, and there is one-to-one correspondence between digits chosen in this manner and the 3 3 -digit numbers we are wanting to count. Thus the desired solution is ( 9 3 ) = 84 . \dbinom{9}{3} = \boxed{84}.

Great! Thanks for highlighting this approach. In the previous question, most people did it the tedious way of listing out every case.

Chung Kevin - 6 years, 2 months ago

My pleasure. :) If the order were strictly descending then we would have to bring 0 0 back into play. Both problems would then become quite a bit harder if the order were no longer "strict".

Brian Charlesworth - 6 years, 2 months ago

I believe that it's still just as "easy". You just have to find the correct bijection. Here is the question .

In the 10 1 10 \leq 1 case, the answer is 45 = ( 10 2 ) 45 = {1 0 \choose 2 } .

Chung Kevin - 6 years, 2 months ago

@Chung Kevin You're right: for some reason I remembered it as being a bit harder. I guess I was thinking of counting the number of, say, 10 10 -digit numbers whose digits were in (not strictly) ascending order. The method is still the same as the one I posted in your next problem, but it does get quite tedious.

Edit: At the prompting of Calvin, I found that there is a "simple" solution for (not strictly ascending) n n -digit numbers in general, which I've outlined in a comment under the solution I posted to your next question.

Brian Charlesworth - 6 years, 2 months ago

Excellent solution.

Ryan L. - 4 years, 8 months ago

What is the 'bracket' means? How it comes to 84 easily?

Hafizh Ahsan Permana - 6 years, 1 month ago

The number of combinations of r r items chosen from a set of n n distinct items is ( n r ) = n ! r ! ( n r ) ! . \dbinom{n}{r} = \dfrac{n!}{r!(n - r)!}.

In this case we have n = 9 , r = 3 , n = 9, r = 3, with

( 9 3 ) = 9 ! 3 ! 6 ! = 9 8 7 6 = 3 4 7 = 84. \dbinom{9}{3} = \dfrac{9!}{3!*6!} = \dfrac{9*8*7}{6} = 3*4*7 = 84.

Brian Charlesworth - 6 years, 1 month ago

Oh it's another way to write 9C3. Great, really conscientious. Thanks.

Hafizh Ahsan Permana - 6 years, 1 month ago

I feel like I'm misunderstanding the question. If I have a 9 in the unit position, then I can have 2 thru 8 in the tens position. If it is a 2 in the tens position, then I can only have a 1 in the hundreds position. If it is an 8 in the tens position, then I can have 1 thru 7 in the hundreds position. Or not?

Pieter Breughel - 4 years, 9 months ago

Yes, that's the idea. The question is then how does one most efficiently count all such 3-digit numbers, which is why I took the approach that I did and not count them case by case.

Brian Charlesworth - 4 years, 9 months ago
ctr = 0
for i in range(100,1000):
    ones = i%10
    i /= 10
    tens = i%10
    i /= 10
    hund = i
    if ones>tens:
        if tens>hund:
            ctr += 1

print ctr 

That works too!

Chung Kevin - 6 years, 1 month ago
Pieter Breughel
Sep 9, 2016

Since the hundreds digit cannot be zero and must be the smallest digit, we know that the 3-digit numbers cannot have any zeroes. The set of numbers from which we can make 3-digit numbers is therefor {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9}.

To fill the three places (without repetition), we can pick from 9 numbers, then from 8 numbers, and finally from 7 numbers. The total number of 3-digit numbers therefor is 9 x 8 x 7 = 504. But these do not contain only numbers that are ascending.

Let's say we pick three random distinct numbers from our set. For example, 2, 1, and 6. How many 3-digit numbers can we make with only those numbers? Well, 3 x 2 x 1 = 6:

Notice that only one of them is ascending, 126. We need to eliminate 6 answers we're not looking for and that leaves us with the correct answer, 1. In other words, divide 6 by 6 to get 1.

For every 3-digit number in the 504 3-digit numbers, there are 6 versions of it, but in a different order. We need to get rid of those. In other words, divide 504 by 6 to get 84.

Thus its 9C3

Junior Stu - 2 years, 2 months ago
Jordan Katz
Sep 2, 2019

If with think of a three-digit number as i j k i j k , then we see i = 1 7 j = i + 1 8 k = j + 1 9 1 = 84 \sum_{i=1}^7 \sum_{j=i+1}^8 \sum_{k=j+1}^9 1= 84

0 pending reports

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...